Tita, Let me share you a little secret. Did you know that you can make your own yoghurt? Since yoghurt is chica in the morning even if maasim siya, a lot of us posers still prefer this for breakfast instead of tapsilog coz’ we’re maarte like that.
What’s funny is yoghurt isn’t chica at all coz’ it’s basically
rotten cultured milk.
So here’s a recipe I’ve been cooking up for months now. It’s easy, it’s cheap and it’s chica like that.
1. You’ll need 750ml or 3 cups of milk. Non-fat doesn’t work well; my theory is that the
bacteria culture in yoghurt needs fat to make more yoghurt. Hence, I recommend fresh or full cream milk.
2. Let it boil for 15-20 minutes on medium heat. Constantly stir and remember that you have to make love with everything that you cook! Now is a good time to imitate Isabella Oliveira of Woman on Top.
3. While cooking the milk, you can add a dollop of cream to thicken and/or a dash of sugar to sweeten. I’m a yogurt purist so I like everything plain and simple.
4. After boiling, let it cool a bit. If a film forms, remove it. Transfer the milk in an airtight container. A thermos works pretty well. Please make sure the milk is still warm. Yogurt critters like it like that.
5. Once you’ve transferred the milk in an airtight container, add a cup or two of yoghurt with live culture. Nestle Cream Yogurt works well for starters but try to get artisanal yogurt made by milk farmers.
Live culture is key! Don’t use imported yogurt! I’ve tried it and it didn’t turn into Elle & Vire… not even Yoplait! I think imported yoghurt has been pasteurized so it would last longer for long distance travel.
6. Seal. Shake a bit. Leave overnight. It will grow.
7. Morning after, open the container. See and taste yogurt magic!
Store in the pridyider. The yoghurt flavor gets richer everyday. And when you’re running out of yoghurt, simply repeat the recipe using the left over yogurt you made before!
No need na to buy processed yoghurt!